Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fickle Fun

Last night (after the kids were in bed) I watched a movie I had been wanting to see (Little Man Tate, 1991). Ang lent me the DVD (thanks, Ang!). DVD player out of service, so had to watch it on the computer. But I did watch it. (And I enjoyed it.)

I set this resolution from the intellectual view that I should be nicer to myself. I realized I wasn't having enough fun in my life. I hadn't realized the extent to which spending time thinking about what I want to do would cheer me up. Frequently I don't even know what I want to do. (Yes, I have some depression in my background.) Doing something nice for myself every day. What would be a nice thing to do for myself? What do I feel like doing, RIGHT NOW? Not a question I've spent a lot of time asking myself.

Yesterday I was looking for something nice to do for myself, and considered having a cup of tea out of a nice tea cup. I didn't feel like it. It was a bit odd to hear that response. Also, good to listen to it, though. I could have said to myself, "Having a cup of tea out of a nice tea cup is on your list of nice things, so you will do it, and you will enjoy it, and you will check off your nice thing for the day." (If this sounds like a wacky thought, you are right; If you can't understand why someone would have this thought, well, you're probably not someone who really needs to set this resolution.)

Anyway. What do YOU want to do today?
Bonny Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment