Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jump in Where You Are!

No, haven't completely fallen by the wayside!

Busy, busy.

I recently read a very good book: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, historical fiction consisting of "letters" talking about the experience of the occupation of Guernsey during WWII. A delightful book.

Today, I had a cup of tea out of a nice teacup. A couple of weeks ago, I waxed my legs. I go days at a time without even remembering this resolution. But then I remind myself that this wasn't a resolution designed to make me feel guilty. And this wasn't a resolution requiring me to update this blog regularly. It's a resolution about picking up where I am, and doing something nice for myself. That's right, I bought a new duvet cover and sheets for our bed (some nice deals at Overstock.com, btw). And I got a light fixture for the ceiling in my sewing room (hasn't been installed yet, but getting it is a step). Cool light fixture (overstock.com, again). I like it. It's not something I would put in the main areas of the house; too whimsical. But perfect for my sewing room.

I'm perfecting my pants pattern, and have made a couple of pair of pants that actually fit me. Such a novelty. Each pair is better than the prior one; I'm on number 3 right now. Just today, I took a few minutes to work on the pattern for the pocket.

Have been busy lately learning about something called SPD, or sensory processing disorder. It's something that has been around for a long time, but has only been given a name fairly recently. It can be caused by a couple of different things, but one is heredity, and I now see that it is pretty common in my family. It seems that I might be the only one in my family of origin who had sensory processing issues, but not to the level of sensory processing disorder; I now have three kids, who all have some pretty substantial sensory processing issues. It's weird to see stuff in my kids, read about it, see it in other family members, and see how it has impacted my life. (How does this fit into being nice to myself? Well, being more understanding with myself when I can't stand to hear another person talk--and am irritated by the sound of the refrigerator, the hum of the computer, the blink of florescent lights, etc., etc.)

It is spring! Jump in and enjoy it!
Bonny Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment